No Comments

Renting out your holiday home? Here’s how to collect the Taxe de Séjour

french taxe de sejour

When you decide to rent out your holiday home in France you firstly need to register the property in your local Mairie. It is possible to do this remotely (either through www.declaloc.fr or www.service-public.fr) but most owners prefer to do this in person. It is always good to establish a relationship with the staff in your local Mairie.

Once this simple task is done you need to understand how to collect, declare and pay the Taxe de Sejour (tourist tax) that you collect from your guests.

Step one – your Mairie will tell you how much to collect. This will depend upon the star rating that they give to your property. Similarly they will advise on which guests need to pay it.

Step two – you collect the tax from your guests and declare the monthly amounts, these are then paid in twice yearly installments. You can pay online, simply check which of the two sites listed earlier is affiliated with your commune.

Step three – the classification given by your Mairie is not the official one granted by the French National Tourism Development Agency. For this star rating they will inspect your property thoroughly and award you an official star rating. You will be given a certificate and an individual reference number that you can then use when publicising your rental property. You can find out how to get your property classified here.

Of course, if you use Leggett Property Management we can offer hands on help throughout this process. Contact hello@leggettpm.fr to find out more.